Currently in Archives. Click here to return to the new CU-CitizenAccess.Org website at any time.

Athlete-turned-addict finds faith, help

By Jenn Kloc/For CU-CitizenAccess — Everyone expected Charles “Tyke” Peacock to bring home a gold medal from the 1984 Olympics. No one suspected that he faked an injury to avoid the Olympic qualifiers and hide his drug addiction.

Fast forward 27 years: On Monday, a judge will decide whether Urbana-native Peacock, 50, must surrender to a six-year prison sentence for burglary or if he can finish recovering from his addiction at the Men’s Substance Abuse Free Environment (SAFE) House, a 12-month rehabilitation program through the Canaan Baptist Church in Urbana. 

“I need rehabilitation, not incarceration,” Peacock said. “I have been praying that I can remain here in the SAFE House.”

The SAFE House is not the only live-in rehabilitation program in the country, but it may be one of the most successful.

In the U.S., there are more than 11,000 addiction recovery programs with an average success rate between 25 and 45 percent, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Illinois has 615 programs while Champaign County offers five substance abuse rehabilitation programs besides the SAFE House, according to the SAMHSA.

But only the SAFE House claims an 86 percent success rate among its graduates.

Rev. B.J. Tatum, the head pastor at Canaan Baptist Church and the SAFE House founder, credits the program’s success to its all-encompassing Christian principles. He believes that the Bible and the Holy Spirit are key to overcoming an addiction.

“I think all other programs are a Band-Aid to a cancerous problem,” Tatum said.

Peacock entered the SAFE House last fall, but his struggle with drug addiction started long before.

Though he showed some of his first signs of athletic achievement in high school, his substance use began there, too. “I used recreational drugs in high school, you know, pot smoking, a few beers, never knowing where that was going to lead me,” he said.

When he graduated high school he joined the track team at Modesto Junior College from 1980 to 1981 in California. He was offered a full-ride basketball scholarship at the University of Kansas for the 1982 to 1983 season. After one season, he transferred to Fresno State University in California.

Throughout his experiences in college athletics, he earned himself a reputation as the top high jumper in the world.


Charles "Tyke" Peacock avoided his six-year prison sentence on Monday when Champaign County Circuit Judge Tom Difanis allowed him to exchange his previous guilty plea to a lesser charge. Instead of holding his October guilty plea to burglary, Peacock pled guilty to unlawful use of a credit card.
The new charge can come with a two to five year prison sentence, but it is also probational. Peacock has an open sentencing date on May 2 and is hoping to get the probation.
When he heard the judge's decision to exchange his burglary charges for the unlawful use of a credit card, he said he had a powerful reaction. "It was almost more than I can handle," Peacock said. "I was very thankful."
For now, he will remain in the Men's Substance Abuse Free Environment House through the Canaan Baptist Church in Urbana and continue recovering from his cocaine addiction.
When he finishes the program, Peacock said he would like to work with kids and help them to avoid the mistakes he made when he was young.
"If I can just turn one or maybe two people from what I've been through, that's what it's all about," Peacock said.
By Jenn Kloc

He won the high jump at the World Cup in Rome in 1981 and a silver medal at the 1983 World Championships in Helsinki, Finland.

“I was blessed with this…just my drive to win, so to speak, was really off the charts,” Peacock said. “The talent itself was really a blessing. It was a God-given talent.”

But his talent was countered by a dark secret — his drug use.

“Leading up to the Olympic year (1984), I was ranked the number one high jumper in the world,” he said. “But no one knew that I was using drugs, I mean, no one outside my little circle of friends.”

Peacock said his drug habit started while he was at Kansas.

“That’s when I got really involved in it,” he said. “Before I knew it, it had me hook, line and sinker.”

Sports Illustrated magazine published a story about his talent and his dreams of joining the NBA in 1984.

Peacock met the coach of the Houston Rockets in 1983 and impressed him so much that he was promised a tryout in 1984. But because of his drug addiction, Peacock surrendered his NBA dreams.

“My addiction had took off. It was full blown by then,” he said. “Needless to say, I never made it back that year to try out with the team.”

Peacock said he doesn’t want people to feel sad about his missed opportunities in the Olympics or the NBA.

“God doesn’t make any mistakes at all,” he said.

As his athletic talents made him more successful, the money he earned drew him deeper into his addiction. “The more money I made, the more drugs I was using,” said Peacock. “If I had won my (Olympic) gold medal and still been getting high, I would have killed myself.”

Last fall, Peacock entered the SAFE House to overcome his history of addiction.

He had behind him a long list of arrests for various charges and two stints in prison — one year in 1994, and a second stay from 1998 until 2000.

“Any time I’ve ever been in trouble, it was for taking something that didn’t belong to me to support my drug habit,” Peacock said. “I stole things to support my habit.”

In October, Peacock was arrested in Los Angeles on a petty theft charge. He said he had warrants out for his arrest in Illinois, so he was extradited. Here, a judge sentenced him to six years in prison on burglary charges, but Peacock said the judge allowed him to remain out of prison until March.

“He says, ‘I’m going to allow you to stay out for the holidays,’” said Peacock.

Peacock said he considers the judge’s decision a blessing and the work of God. Not only has Peacock been able to progress in his recovery in the SAFE House, but his sister also passed away in November. If he had been ordered to serve his prison sentence right away, he would have missed her funeral, he said.

“My sister wanted me to be there, my family needed me to be there, and I needed to be there,” said Peacock. “I do not know what it would’ve done to my spirit if I had not been there when she passed.”

Peacock has been married twice and has three biological children. His wife, Renee Peacock, also has two children from a previous marriage.

Peacock had his oldest son when he was a senior in high school, and his biological daughters are 21 and 14 years old. Renee’s son is 17 years old and plays basketball. Her daughter, who was 3 years old when Renee and Peacock married, is 14 years old and runs track.

Peacock met Renee at a track meet when he was a student at Modesto Junior College in California. She was his college sweetheart. Despite periods of separation and previous marriages, the couple got married in 2001.

“We both believed that we were each other’s soul mates,” he said. “I’ve put her through more than I care to remember, and I’m thankful she’s still there for me.”

For Renee, 10 years of marriage to a person struggling with an addiction haven’t been easy, but she said she has stayed behind her husband for support.

“God doesn’t put you through more than what you can handle,” she said. “I do believe that in my faith, God allowed me to see the good in him.”

Though she said she had struggled to keep him sober before, she was optimistic when she found out about the SAFE House.

“I knew that he needed something faith-based, because even with a 12-step program, it’s more than just the 12 steps,” said Renee. “Now he has his armor on, and that armor is the word of God.”

She said she hopes that the judge will decide that her husband can remain in the SAFE House, “because it is something that has helped him to be the person that he is supposed to be. I don’t believe that the prisons have a rehabilitation program in place, so going into that environment again only sets him up for failure again,” she said.

This year for Peacock’s birthday on Feb. 24, his oldest daughter, Brittany, who is studying nursing at Parkland College, wanted to show her father how proud she is of his decision to become sober. She visited him at the SAFE House and brought a bundle of balloons.

“It was just sort of my, I guess my token of appreciation, you know, thank you for stepping up and doing what you need to do to be a positive role model for me. That’s how I look at it,” said Brittany.

Peacock said the gesture moved him to tears. “That would have never happened a year ago when I was in my mess,” he said.

Brittany said she hopes the judge will decide that her father can remain in the SAFE House. She said that since Peacock entered the SAFE House, they have grown closer and there are more positives in their relationship.

“I don’t blame my father for any of his mistakes or his drug use. I don’t blame him and I don’t hold it against him,” Brittany said. “I don’t know if I’ve ever said that to him, but that is something I want him to know.”

Peacock said he is praying that the judge will let him stay in the SAFE House. “I truly do believe and feel in my soul, if they send me to prison, that’s not gonna do my soul no good,” he said.

But he said he is leaving it up to God to decide. Though he is praying that the judge will suspend his sentence, Peacock said that if he ends up going to prison, then “Maybe [God] needs me to minister for someone in the DOC,” he said. “Whatever he decides for me, I’m just here to serve.”

Still, he would be much happier to remain in the SAFE House where he can focus on his recovery.

“I actually like me again, and I really don’t believe that prison is right for me this time around,” he said. “I’m not the same person, so I don’t feel like I deserve the same penalty,” Peacock said.

¨ Copyright 2011 CU-CitizenAccess.